1/2/10

Bright Paper Packages


I'm not one to take down holiday decorations in a timely fashion. Around Valentine's Day I'll start to feel guilty (maybe). Till then, I'm going to enjoy the lights and ornaments.

The Shiny Brites are a gift from my aunt and this is the first year I've pulled them out. Usually I'm too terrified to use them, petrified they'll shatter everywhere. But what's the point of leaving them in a closet, right? I went with a Charlie Brown tree this year that I cut from the backyard. It's tiny, lopsided and bare, but with plenty of character. I like that.
The torte nearly turned into a disaster due to a seriously leaky spring form pan. Do all of these pans do this? Yikes. I ended up transferring the whole mess to a regular cake pan and it turned out fine that way. Dusted with confectioner's sugar and decorated with raspberries, it tasted delicious (despite some wonky looking sides).

Visiting Arkansas right after the 25th was terrific. There were lots of games of Pink Milk played and M&M's shared and when the nieces had settled in for the night, there were late night talk-a-thons with my sister. And Scrabble. Between sis and brother-in-law, I was totally schooled. Next time I'm bringing a dictionary.

Now I'm back home and finding it's tough coming off that holiday rose-y glow. It's storming outside and I'd really love to just flip the calendar to February and forget about this month. I'm trying to see January for what it is though; a chance to maybe pull in and take it easy, rather than a short, dark, icy 31 days. There's sewing projects to be finished and books to be read, so perhaps now is as good a time as any to dive right into all that. I'm thinking I'd really love to offer more in the way of freebies and tutorials in the upcoming year here, so snow-bound in January will give me no excuses to slack, right? I've finally finished the lacy socks (yes!), so expect some photos of those this week.

But for now it's a snowy Saturday night and knitting on the couch with some cocoa sounds perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment